Monday, May 12, 2014

Mad Men wrap up...

My "Mad Men" wrap up is so disturbing on so many levels... I dont' know where to begin...
“From now on, leave the talking to me,” . “You keep your conversation to toast rounds and butter.”
spoken by:  Henry to Betty after Betty said we needed to stay in the Vietnam War...WHAAATTTT??? Henry??? Since when did he become this big time sexist??? I was blindsighted.... WHAT THE HECK???

Megan... who I can NOT STAND!!!! has a threesome with Don!!! What is this? Some kind of DESPERATE (and trust me... Megan and desperate are one in the same) attempt to keep Don... Girrrrrrrrrrrllllllllll... if I had Don as my hubsband... you better believe I wouldn't be sharing.....


Michael... what happened to you Michael??? Michael had a complete nervous breakdown... cut off his nipple and gave it to Peggy...now.. I am thinking this is kind of an ode to "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!!!" like in Network (1976)... I think it was a glimpse into how people in these high pressure jobs were feeling with Vietnam, Nixon, the economy, etc... I think Michael had a breakdown much like Freddy in season 2... its the pressure of the job, not having access to anxiety medication and self medicating... it was too much... poor Michael....

My beloved Sally.... Sally is the spoiled little rich girl who is rebelling wildly against the establishment... problem is... she needs that establishment WAAAY toooo much... Sally can't survive without Don and Betty ( and SEXIST Henry)... shes like a hippie who can't really live the life of a hippie because shes too used to central air conditioning....
Peggy.... uggghh... Peggy... the only thing missing from this episode was the myriad of cats...Peggy is seriously the biggest spinster... I know we are supposed to love Peggy and think  shes like a modern career woman... but she is such a loser...shes watching tv with her 10 year old neighbor??? ( I know.. y'all are going to tell me how Betty was watching tv with a ten year old Glenn... but in her defense.. she was babysitting...) I think Peggy begged the ten year old to watch tv with her!!! I know we are supposed to somehow love Peggy or root for her as the heroine or woman of liberation... but why does she have to be SUCH a loser?? Is she like some kind of Mary Tyler Moore??? Is that it?? She at least had Rhoda... Peggy has noone.... I see Peggy modern day in her apartment like 80 years old with like 89 cats.....

Now we only have two episodes left this year and then we only have 8 after that.... I have to say that what I will miss the MOST in this show.. is not Don.. (although don't get me wrong.. I'll miss him immensely...) What I will miss is the authenticity of this show... from the costumes to the sets... I swear, one woman last night was wearing a dress my mom actually had in 1975.... I came a little bit after this era but it sooooooooo reminds me of my childhood and how things looked in my house and how people dressed on tv.... it shoots me right back to watching early episodes of "The Brady Bunch", "I Dream of Jeannie", "The Monkeys" "The Courtship of Eddie's Father".... it is soooo true to the time.... I am praying that Matthew Weiner is working on something to take "Mad Men's" place... he is too brilliant to go to waste!!

No comments:

Post a Comment